Friday, January 30, 2009

The Whole "25 Things about..." Shindig

Ok, so here's to jumping on the whole "25 random things..." bandwagon:

1. Brock wonders what this says about our culture, about human sociality, about personhood that people will find out these 25 things about him on a blog/facebook rather than in a real life conversation.

2. The first time he finally got the courage to drive a stick shift (the same car he still has by the way, 8 years later!) it was on the way to youth group on a Wednesday night. At one light he stalled the car some 8-10 times (he lost track after being stuck at the same intersection for three stop lights). Then on the way home, with his brothers and a younger cousin in the car, he ran over an opossum (which, seconds before, looked straight at his car), because he had no idea what else to do.

3. He loves using parenthetical phrases in his writing (as if #2 didn't already demonstrate that point).

4. He secretly (until now) mourns the fact that he was prevented by his parents from listening to any music growing up that wasn't "Christian." Many have told him, however, that he didn't miss out on much.

5. Brock used to be a Bible study fiend. Seriously. Throughout high school and college, he would write entire commentaries (we're talking 100+ pages) on books of the Bible for his personal devotions, quoting other commentaries, studying the original language, and the whole nine yards. He has kept these commentaries (which his wife has, at times, tried to throw away) which include studies on Judges, Ezra, Nehemiah, Ecclesiastes, Lamentations, Ezekiel, Hosea, Zechariah, Matthew, 1&2 Corinthians, Ephesians, Philippians, 1& Timothy, Titus, Hebrews, and James. He used to have pompous visions that someday he would become a famous author in the Christian world (now, he's just shooting for "author" and of a different genre).

6. When he gets tired, he tends to get very emotional, and any question that appears remotely complicated or any remotely difficult circumstance will make him cry (he about had a mental breakdown last Sunday at the grocery store when his wife asked him to pick out a couple salad dressings).

7. He has had the same style cell phone for over three years.

8. During high school, Brock once worked at Lake Ann Baptist Camp in Traverse City, MI as "support staff" (aka janitor). An entire summer of cleaning toilets and emptying trash barrels (well, at least it builds character, right?). It wasn't so bad until the infamous "week of the yammy." Some parent let their kid come to camp even though he had the flu... and he gave it to everyone else. The camp had to quarantine 130 of the kids (and some counselors) into certain cabins. Yammy was everywhere. Then, one night, all the other campers were made to sleep outside in their sleeping bags, and Brock and the rest of the support staff team "quat-cleaned" every nook and cranny of the campgrounds using those weed killer sprayers.

9. Brock is the second oldest of five boys, all with names starting with "Br." Although, its a bit controversial, since his older brother is adopted, he considers himself the "firstborn" (and besides, all those birth order explanations are all messed up when one sibling is
adopted anyways).

10. On his high school choir trip to England, he was kissed in a bar by a drunk woman (it was a fellow choir member, but he doubts she remembers it).

11. As he writes this, Brock doubts he will have any good information left about himself to use for the game "two truths and a lie" with his friends.

12. Brock, his older brother, and a couple of his friends, were once being hunted by the local and county police in Lafayette, IN... for drive by shootings.... with cap guns (true story). His parents were not all that happy. He had to do a lot of cleaning around the house that summer.

13. In 7th grade, Brock rode his bicycle to school... 8.5 miles... without telling his parents... at 6:30AM. It was one of the only times he was ever early to school in his childhood. When he got to school, there was a sign posted on the door: "Brock, call your mom." All the teachers and parents thought he was going to be in REAL big trouble. Thankfully, he only had to apologize to his brothers for being a bad example.

14. Brock was a catcher for 8 years. He has bad knees as a result of it.

15. He didn't have a curfew until he went to college. Dumb Christian school....

16. Brock is pretty sure he'll never have a "most favorite" movie, song, band, book, etc. Can one really think about all the things they've ever watched or heard or listened to and make an accurate assessment of such things?

17. Brock has over 40 cousins on his dad's side of the family. He has two on the other side.

18. He's had a number of jobs over the years: Burger King, chauffeur (in high school, his mom paid him to drive his brothers around), janitor, camp counselor, landscape architect, church intern, a number of positions in vocational ministry, RA in college, library assistant, a secretary at Duquesne, and now an editor. In many ways, what he does now is his favorite job so far.

19. Brock is learning to cook. Most of the time, he is the "prep" cook for when his wife makes things, but now there are a number of things his wife defers to him to make including French Toast and Shrimp Etoufee.

20. He still brings PBJ for lunch sometimes - and likes it.

21. Brock has written over 40 songs that he (perhaps delusionally) hopes will someday be recorded.

22. The first occupation he wanted to have when he was a kid was a pediatrician.

23. Brock likes it when its cold outside (but not too cold) because he loves to wear sweaters. Fall is probably his favorite season.

24. Brock is an addicted LOST watcher. He has even posted comments on the Lost.com forum.

25. For Brock, each day is a crisis of faith. Perhaps, one day he'll have an idea of what to believe.

5 comments:

amberbahler said...

Amber, his wife, is totally creeped out that he wrote the whole darn thing in third person.

Megan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Megan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Megan said...

Brock,
So I read your post before I went to sleep and I then spent several minutes lying in bed trying to sleep, formulating my reply. This and the fact that Everette fell asleep in the middle of the bed are the reasons I am responding at 1:30 AM. So know that I am doing this as much for myself as anything :)
First of all, of all of these that I have read, yours was the only one I was in any way compelled to respond to. For better or worse. I also found it hilarious/creepy that you wrote in 3rd person.
1. I am not sure if this says as much about our culture as it does human nature. People want to be known. They LOVE to talk about themselves (case in point-we both have blogs). The wonderful thing about blogs is that you can have a conversation with a million people, and You get to completely speak your mind without being interrupted. What could be better than that?
3. I also love parenthetical expressions (and it warms my heart to know someone else shares my love for parenthesis-I prefer them over commas).
4. I would say that you did miss out on some great music (hello Bedtime Stories-Madonna, Sooooo kidding)!

I have decided (based on previous conversations and blogposts) that you are too hard on High School Brock. I for one knew you in high school and I liked you very much then, and I know you now and my sentiments have not changed. I also know your wife liked you in high school, and I am taking a wild guess she still likes you now as well. So much of High School is self-preservation--it's brutal out there. Who you were then is a huge part of who you are now. Embrace your younger self!
There are a number of reasons that you should defend your commentaries from your wife not the least of which, should you (God willing) outlive your child(ren) they will be an incredible treasure to them when you are gone. I have a few things that my grandmother wrote and they are so precious to me. I also must say I am not surprised to hear about these commentaries--considering I am guessing you slept about 4 hours total in high school!
I find it very honorable that you would refer to the drunk person that kissed you in England as a "woman" when you so easily could have called her a "girl". I would also bet that she remembers it, but I am DYING to know who it is!!!!! How did I not know about this? It wasn't me was it? (just kidding-I think). p.s. I also remember a certain boy insisting on speaking with a British accent a good portion of that trip :)

Now that I have written all of this I have to ponder "why?" I think Brock, that you have the gift of sparking good conversation (if you can call this comment "good"). Very rarely do I ever read something you write or hear something you say and not feel compelled to respond. Since it is already ridiculously late and this comment is already longer than ANYONE will EVER read, I have to share four quick memories this has brought to mind.
1. Eating Wintogreen mints in the middle of a cornfield with a bunch of geeks (a term of endearment) trying to see the sparks in our mouths.
2. Driving to Indianapolis like a crazy lady (sorry about that BTW) and staying at my friend Linda's house on the couch--waking up terrified in the middle of the night to you stumbling around in the dark trying to find your shoes to go on a walk. This is when I realized that you were certifiably crazy.
3. Sunshine- jr year. Thanks for making that awkward event fun. Am I crazy or was that whole night weird?
4.So you may or may not have been a part of this (sorry if you weren't but it came to my mind-plus I am pretty sure you were there). Two times you, Justin, Kent or some combination thereof came to my house at some late hour and threw rocks at my window-one time Justin even climbed on my porch roof. It was my "Say Anything" moment-if only there was rain and a giant boombox.
OK-I have to go reclaim my side of the bed.

slivengo said...

I'm with Amber on this one. For the first few - I was wondering if, for some strange reason, Amber wrote this FOR Brock.