Monday, February 11, 2008

That Sentimental Feeling

Ok, so I've been feeling a bit sentimental these days. I don't know if its the stress of school, work and my crazy boss, Bible study, my other job, a paper due this week, preparing to give a sermon at our church in March, and preparing to present a philosophy paper in Montreal in three weeks on top of the regular responsibilities of life, but I've been finding myself getting choked up about just about everything. I watch the news and get choked up about the survivor stories from the recent tornados in Tennessee and Arkansas. I found myself getting choked up at the central message of two very good movies I watched last week, Moulin Rouge and Juno. Yesterday, in my sentimental mood, I even got on You Tube yesterday and watched the video about Jason McElwain, the autistic high school basketball player who scored 20 points in the last four minutes of his only high school baseketball game. I balled my eyes out.

Needless to say, with this nostalgic mood behind me, I eagerly came home last night to watch the Grammy's - I was a stickler for awards shows as a child. Needless to say, I was not very impressed. Perhaps it was the writer's strike. Perhaps it was the fact that the most notable artist of the night had to be pulled out of drug rehab to perform (and thank her incarcerated boyfriend when she got her award). Perhaps it was the arrogance of Kanye West. Or maybe it was the horrendous performance by Tina Turner (yuck). Whatever it was, I found myself depressed, and more than that, became more interested in the cheap "100 Funniest TV Moments" showing on another station over the Grammys. Thankfully, there was a redeeming moment when Josh Groban and Andrea Boccelli sang a stirring duet...

Anyway, in other news, as you saw above, I am presenting a philosophy paper in Montreal in March, an ethics paper I wrote last semester actually. So Amber and I are taking a quick two-day trip to Canada to hopefully do a little sight-seeing amidst the not so exciting activities of a philosophy conference (I admit, even I don't get stoked by the idea of sitting around to listen to people literally read their paper, but at least it will look good on my CV). Speaking of philosophers and being stoked, this year's Lost TV episodes are definitely living up to my expectation, and I was particularly impressed by their entry of another character with a philosopher's name: C.S. Lewis. Yes, along with John Locke, [Desmond] David Hume, and Rousseau, one of the four "rescuers" is named Charlotte Staples Lewis (yup - the 'S' in C.S. Lewis stands for Staples). She even grew up in England and went to Oxford - where Lewis taught!

Well that's my excitement for now. I hope all is well with whoever out there reads this blog which hasn't been much to speak of lately... Peace.

1 comment:

Sacchiel said...

Ms. C. S. Lewis? Cool!