Thursday, February 15, 2007

Winning Isn't Everything... But it Sure Feels Good

I must admit, I come from a long line of losers. My high school football team is having a good year when it goes 4-10 (yeah, that's four wins). I was raised to be a die-hard Chicago Cubs fan ("there's always next year..."). And my college rooting allegiances go to the Purdue Boilermakers, which haven't been known to have the most stellar of sports teams, especially lately (I mean, come on, getting into the "Champs Sports Bowl" isn't the most distinguished of things... especially when you lose).

So it's always nice when occasionally "your" team actually wins the "big one." This was exactly what happened two weeks ago when the Indianapolis Colts finally won the Super Bowl... which wasn't as exhilarating as I thought it would be when all was said and done... Crazy, I know. The team I root for won the greatest sports event in the world (which certainly can be debated) and I'm already over it ten days later.

But the sports high I'm still on right now is the fact that my Purdue Boilermakers actually did win a "big one" tonight, winning in one of the biggest rivalries in college basketball as they defeated 19th ranked Indiana University 81-68. Go Boilers!! Maybe they'll even make it to the NCAA tournament this year.

I'm sure at this moment I'm supposed to spiritualize this whole blog about winning and sports which is so temporal and miniscule in the grand scheme of things... But I'm too tired at the moment. I'll rant about those things on another day.

B

1 comment:

Dennis Swender said...

you could have always connected the sports thing here with the olymics and the greeks 'running the race'. The traditional sermon on sports!