Friday, July 16, 2010

French Diaries

The last couple weeks, I was in Southern France, first for a conference presentation, and then for some vacation with the family. The next few posts will chronicle the highlights of our journey. Enjoy!


Day 1

Sunday afternoon (July 4th), I left for France (which quickly became Monday on the flight). I had two layovers at one hour a piece for my three flight to arrive in Toulouse at 10am and then figure out the public transportation in time to arrive at the university by 2:30 to present my paper. Needless to say, I had been nervous for several days about how close I was cutting it. Add to that, I didn't sleep for the entire flight so I was going about 27 hrs w/o sleep. Then, in Frankfurt I was getting panicky. In my short layover (thankfully our flight got in 20 min late) I had a long process before I could board the next plane. Once off the plane, I had to board a bus, wait for everyone else to board it, and then ride it to the terminal. Next was a bit of a line at passport control, which then forces you out of the security area even if you have another flight. Either way, I still had to get my ticket for the next flight since it was with Lufthansa and for some strange reason US airways (which I rode from Pgh to Charlotte) couldn't print out for me before I left home. After scrambling to find their ticket counter (which was completely electronic) I had to get the machine to finally read my passport before I could go back through security and find my gate. Surprisingly through all this I still got to the gate time to spare so I wandered to find an ATM and get some Euros. On this plane, I am surrounded by businessmen finalizing PowerPoint presentations for meetings and it seems like everyone here owns at least some kind of Apple product.

Once in Toulouse, I took a bus and then a subway to get to the Universitie. Once out of the subway and noticeably bewildered as to which way to go next, a nice elderly French woman led me to where I needed to go (actually all the French I have encountered thus far have been very kind which leads me to believe either belligerent French only live in Paris or they only appear when arrogant Americans show themselves). The paper went quite well (despite my lack of sleep!) and since then I've considered myself on vacation.

I finally went to my quarters for some rest - a dorm that oddly enough is quite far from the school - and well ... Let's say for 20 Euros a night I'm still not sure I got what I paid for! But I can manage no a/c, communal bathrooms, and morning construction right outside my window for a couple nights right?

After a shower and a brief respite it was back out for a special invitation for all the conference speakers for some amazing hors-d'oeuvre and (free!!) champagne with the mayor of Toulouse (who was just as young and reportedly just as dreadfully inexperienced as Pgh's Luke Ravenstahl) at the very beautiful town hall.

Finally, off to sleep.

Day 2
Today was not nearly as hectic. I slept off and on until 8:30 (2:30 Pgh time) and then went to the conference. There was not a whole lot I was interested in today and spent a bit of my time under a tree in the cool breeze reading a book.

After more conference proceedings and chats with other participants from numerous other countries, I went out for dinner with a couple professors from the communications dept at Duq (nice to have some friendly faces around) for my first French meal - and first legitimate meal since leaving Pgh. Oh wow. I ordered a vin rouge ordinaire (red house wine) that was quite tasty. The entree was a selection of meat cuts and sliced French bread (delicieux!), the plat a medium rare piece of steak topped with foie gras (and yes I understand there are a lot of ethical concerns surrounding this French delicacy... But it was soo good just to try it once!), and for dessert a nice offering of tiramisu. Magnifique!

After dinner I decided to head back (to type this report of course) to my room. Who knows why but my 10-trip subway ticket kept getting refused. So I was off to go ask a store clerk to break a 20 euro bill into change (the ticket machine doesn't take bills and wouldn't accept my credit card) - another chance to practice my French. With my handy Rick Steves phrase book, I'm off. "Je voudrais des pieces." said very poorly, the guy says, "only if I have enough." He opens his cash drawer and says he cannot help me. Next try: "Parlez-vous anglais?" A classic response: "No I speak no English." Okay new tactic: "Vous pouvez casser ca? Je voudrais dix billet et des pieces." Success and then my old ticket suddenly decides to work again. Well at least it was good practice!

No comments: