Thursday, December 13, 2007

A Sigh of Relief

So today I turned in my papers as my last work for my first semester of grad school. Now its 'wait and see' to find out what kind of grades I will receive. Grad school has been a a great experience thus far. I much rather write papers than take tests, and getting back into the work of researching and articulating ideas has been a lot of fun. Not that I understand everything - far from it. Aristotle's Metaphysics has kicked my butt all semester long, but as a result, I've learned a TON regarding its influence on Christian theology (taking Aquinas this semester at the same time helped, no doubt) and even how we think today. Having to read Aristotle in Greek has was not too exciting, but I've experienced the pay off as it has greatly increased my ability to read the New Testament in Greek.

In other news, I've been offered a graduate assistantship at Duquesne. This is not a teaching assistantship - actually its more of an office job doing paperwork. Nonetheless, it comes with a nice stipend and payment of my tuition along with some good experience. On the other hand, I had just started a job at a nearby coffee shop and was beginning to enjoy the change of pace, learning new skills, and meeting all kinds of people. I've just been amazed at all the spiritual conversations I've already had with coworkers, which has made me lament that sacred/secular dichotomy in so many churches where "ministry" is relegated to only what goes on in the church walls.

So now... a couple weeks "off" - which means Christmas shopping, entertaining family that is coming to visit, working here and there, etc - and then home for Christmas. Then, Amber and I along with a few friends from Indy are off to Mexico City for a bit of a vacation! I'll have to post some pictures when we get back.

2 comments:

being Kandice... said...

Ahhh, Mexico City! Are you looking forward to it? I can assure you we are going to have TONS of FUN!!

Metanoia said...

Of course I'm looking forward to it!!!!